History of the Harbour

Blog Image Blog Image Blog Image

The Cornwall Harbour area is located at the foot of Edward Street. Improvements began in the late 1950s, which resulted in a fully serviced port of entry harbour. In 1956, the Seaway was built and it was decided then that Cornwall would have a port about 1 km in length to accommodate shipping and receiving for local factories.

The port was established in 1962 and opened in 1967. The Harbour was initially used to receive supplies for companies such as Courtaulds, Domtar Fine Papers, ICI Industries and other companies that had located to the Cotton Mills Area.

Today, the warehouse at the bottom of Edward Street continues to receive and store materials for local companies that mostly arrive by seaway transport. Today the Harbourʼs occasional use is by navy frigates and the tall ships (large, traditionally-rigged sailing vessels). The future vision for this land use which GRG is proposing would see a new facility which houses shops, restaurants, family activities, boat slips for pleasure boats and cruise ships offering dinner cruises on the St. Lawrence River.

Send Us A Comment

*denotes required